On 14-3-2010 17:21, Michael Saunders wrote:

It's very easy to use, and it allows me to access any feature of my
fonts with a digraph switch.  Also, it keeps the different kinds of
shapes on independent axes, so I can say:
\it 123 \in 456 \bd 238 \rm 909
to get the numbers set in:

such short commands can clash ... for instance \in is a command already

italic; italic inferiors; bold italic inferiors; bold roman inferiors,
because I also have the weight and width on separate axes.
I can't imagine anything simpler to use.

in one file and then invoking it in another with (I think maybe?):
\usetypescript[that other typescript from somewhere]
\usebodyfont[WhateverSmallcaps]

is easier than saying:

\sc

\WhateverSmallcaps would work as well

the advantage is that if you then do

{\WhateverSmallcaps bla \bf bla} you'd get a bold smallcaps, given that there is one; if we're talking open type, a dynamic feature switch works as well: \addff{smallcaps}

some of these mkii things (\os, \sc) are often side effects of tex originally using cm fonts mostly, where oldstyle were sitting in a math font so we needed a special command