Dear Hans + Taco

I have a question about "Minion Expert" fonts. I do
have a copy of Idris's paper on this very topic but I'm not
sure if this is still the way to install fonts via MKIV/LuaTeX.
I'll give some background on what I'm doing, so my apologies to the
list for the long post.

[Note: happy to write this up in full for the Wiki at some point if of
more general interest]

I have been able to create hundreds of Minion instances and
(with the excption of "Expert") successfully install them in Context ---
works really very well. I have tested the PDF output with 500+ separate
instances embedded, all seem to work perfectly --- provided the mmpfb settings are right.

The resulting instances/fonts (.afm, .pfb) are output directly into the Context tree with names like

MinionRegularRoman_wt525_wd600_op20.[afm|pfb]

Generally the names are formed as follows:

Minion[Variety][Angle]_wt[num]_wd[num]_op[num]

Variety = one of Expert,Regular,Smallcaps
Angle = one of Roman,Italic

After refreshing the font lists/file name databases all instances
can all be accessed through commands like this

\definedfont[MinionRegularRoman_wt450_wd600_op10 at 12pt]

--- I intend to write a typescript to set them up
properly but these are early days for me with Context. I'm
hoping that the above font naming convention will allow me to
write a quite flexible set of typescripts... eventually.

The only one that does not work is the Expert font (no surprise I guess)

As mentioned, my scripts output the fonts directly
into the Context tree, for Regular,Smallcaps varieties
that's all I have to do. Wonderful!

So, to the "Expert" variety...

Clearly, this font has a "non standard" encoding vector which
is causing the problm (I guess). The AFM records

EncodingScheme FontSpecific

If I install instances like

MinionExpertRoman_wt350_wd450_op10.afm

then run the minimal example

\starttext
\definedfont[MinionExpertRoman_wt500_wd450_op10 at 12pt]
This is an interesting test. 1234567890. filling, fill. ABCDEF.
\stoptext

When I run this for the firt time I get

!load afm : reading c:/Context/tex/texmf-context/fonts/afm/minion/MinionExpertRoman/MinionExpertRoman_wt500_wd450_op10.afm !load afm : unifying c:/Context/tex/texmf-context/fonts/afm/minion/MinionExpertRoman/MinionExpertRoman_wt500_wd450_op10.afm !afm glyph : assigning private slot U+F0000 for unknown glyph name Acutesmall !afm glyph : assigning private slot U+F0001 for unknown glyph name nineoldstyle
<snip>

The resulting PDF is blank, apart from the dot and commas
in the sample text "This is an interesting test. 1234567890. filling, fill. ABCDEF."

So, finally to my question: what additional work do I need to do
to fully integrate the Expert fonts to access some of the nice features
of these fonts?

Warm wishes

Graham
=======