> I cannot get \c{a} to work in mkiv. Small test file:

  Are you sure you really need \c{a}, not \aogonek?  I'm not aware of any
language that would use cedillas on vowels, whereas ogonek is used in several
languages to indicate nazalisation (starting with Polish, of course).

> \starttext
> \c{c} % works both in mkii and mkiv
> \c{a} % works only in mkii (in mkiv I get nothing)
> \stoptext

  In Mark II the character is built by stacking boxes, which you usually don't
want in Mark IV if there is a glyph available in the font (but I doubt you will
find many fonts with such a glyph, see below).

> Is there a fix for this? I would not like to use the unicode char
> directly in the file

  There is no single Unicode character for a with cedilla anyway, you would
have to use combining characters.

        Arthur