Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
may we can be package them in an otf format

  Right, OpenType can embed bitmap fonts (even TrueType could, if I'm
not mistaken); if the font is only available as PK, it should be
possible to make it into an OpenType font, using FontForge, for example.

The chance of this working is minimal. For certain, I have never
tested bitmapped opentype fonts, and I also am sure that subsetting
won't work at all. Also, I am even less interested in bitmapped
opentype fonts than I am in pk files.

  That being said, I realize that it means Metafont fonts can't be used
in Mark IV, am I right?

Dumping a ready-made pk file in the local directory worked last
time I tried it.

Best wishes,
Taco