On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 9:50 PM, Marcin Borkowski
<mb...@atos.wmid.amu.edu.pl> wrote:

> My 3 cents: if you want to have your thesis done *quickly* and in an
> easy, "howto - recipe - faq" way, just use LaTeX (probably with
> amsrefs/tikz/memoir/a few others).  If you want to do more unusual
> things, and have some spare time to play with them and ask a lot of
> questions here - use ConTeXt.  (Some time ago, on the blog of the
> Malaysian LaTeX User Group (http://latex-my.blogspot.com/) there was a
> nice example of having a colourful, good-looking book done in LaTeX,
> btw, so it's also possible, of course; but LaTeX was *not* designed with
> such things in mind.)

It is not just a matter of typesetting the thesis in ConTeXt---ConTeXt
is a subject of study. But even barring that, my brief experience with
LaTeX was more than enough to know that the very design of the macro
package irks me to a degree I would not like to use it at all, for
whatever purpose. It is like Ruby on Rails: "convention over
configuration." No thank you, I'm not looking for a thesis that looks
like an AMS paper, and no matter how hard ConTeXt can be to start
learning, my money is that hacking LaTeX to make it look the way I
want is much much more difficult.

The thesis also has to target both electronic and print PDFs. There is
just nothing LaTeX offers me besides a poorly designed (imo) system
that will take as much time, if not more, to learn how to customize to
my liking than ConTeXt.

> And please, *do* read the TeXbook - it's sooooo much fun!

As I said, it will be read. I was just trying to discern in which order.