Hello Patrick

who said...

>>Besides the gdb part, this is pretty much how I "learned" LuaTeX >>(still on my path). I suggest you stay with plain, then add features >>as you go along:

> * write your own font handler (see the bluewiki page) - LuaTeX >supports many different kinds of fonts
>* write your own kpathsea module (and thus replace kpathsea)
>* do a nodelist traversal and find out about the different node types
>* create a nodelist and write it out to TeX (node.write(...))
>* use tex.linebreak() for creating a paragraph.

Good to know that I'm not the only one going down the "simple"
path. My plans are indeed along the lines you indicate. I have the
utmost admiration and respect for the work that has gone into ConTeXt, a great piece of work. For now, I just need to get back to the "very basics" and a minimal installation of LuaTeX with plain seems to do that
nicely, for now.

>> If you understand german or use google translate, have a look at

>> http://www.luatex.de

Sadly, I do not read German, a real pity as there are some interesting
bits of code on there. Google Translate, here I come.... :-)

Warm regards and thanks again for your time to reply.

Cheers!

Graham