On Saturday 29 May 2010 10:09:07 you wrote:
> On Fri, 28 May 2010 18:09:17 +0200 Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> > > (I do not know why, for "freebsd" x86_64 maps to "freebsd" and not
> > > "freebsd- amd64")
>
> I am not sure what this discussion is about, I just got this part
> forwarded by Mojca. But if you talk about the case statement in
> first-setup.sh I don't know why there is a x86_64 branch for FreeBSD at
> all. On FreeBSD AMD64 you get:
>
> [mickr...@gandalf ~]\$ uname -s
> FreeBSD
> [mickr...@gandalf ~]\$ uname -m
> amd64
>
> This is on an E6300 Intel processor.

Yes, it can get confusing:

uname -s        uname -m        uname -p
Intel Q9400 (Core2 Quad):
FreeBSD         amd64           amd64
GNU/kFreeBSD    x86_64          amd64
Linux           x86_64          unknown
32bit os (same processor):
FreeBSD         ? (untested)    ?
GNU/kFreeBSD    i686            i386
GNU/Linux       i686            unknown
Intel pentium 4:
FreeBSD         ? (untested)    ?
GNU/kFreeBSD    i686            i386
GNU/Linux       i686            unknown

> > > As far as I know, 64 bit linux/freebsd/kfreebsd use the same
> > > distributions ("amd64") for both Intel and AMD processors.
>
> Same for official FreeBSD AMD64. There is no special version of FreeBSD
> for 64bit x86 CPU from Intel. There is a IA64 version of FreeBSD that
> is often mistaken as built for those Intel AMD64 clones. But this
> version is actually build for the Itanium Architecture, descendant of
> PA-RISC. Summary: FreeBSD AMD64 is used for all 64bit x86 CPUs.

The official 64bit OS name is "amd64" for FreeBSD, GNU/kFreeBSD and Linux.
However, uname -m gives differing results and depends on the version of the
running OS, not the real underlying processor; A 64bit processor can run a
32bit OS.

Alan