* Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl> [2010-07-27 16:15]:

On 27-7-2010 4:10, David Rogers wrote:

In academic writing especially, it's necessary to weigh the effect of
this distraction before using anything other than standard
constructions. Sometimes this kind of focus on the writer's personality
and politics may be welcome, or even necessary; but in some situations
it is not.

so what do copy editors of scientific publications do when they see mixed (or inconsistent) usage of he/she/etc?

I'm not a regular reader of any scientific publications. I suspect there
are different de facto standards in different fields.

--
David