Am 2010-10-07 um 18:32 schrieb Florian Wobbe:
Well, remote sensing with computers is cumbersome and as I haven't got a clue what happens on your machine I'd rather see your the shell script.

Don't keep fixed on that shell script - it was only one of many failed attempts. "context" itself is only a shell script that calls mtxrun. It doesn't matter how I call ConTeXt from the server process - it hangs at texlua.

How is this script intended to be called: as a subshell from the prompt, as a cron job in the background, ...?

At the end I want to run it via Celery/RabbitMQ (an AMQP message queue), but since that's another complication, I tried first to run it directly from my Django view (in other framework's talk that's the controller).

I've got Ubunto and OSX here and could try to reproduce the error for you, if you post your script.

Thank you, but the problem is most probably something in my server setup that doesn't fit something in LuaTeX. As I mentioned: I got no problems calling TeX directly, just from the server process.

A shell script with just these 4 lines

#!/bin/bash
cd $HOME/context/tests
export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/applic/context/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin
context --batchmode test.tex

works as expected on Ubunto 2.6.32-24-server x86_64 with an almost empty environment (none of the TEX* variables set). You just have to set the path to context - nothing else is necessary.

As for the environment variables set: you can test for that in the script via 'env' and redirect the output to a file.

Guess what I tested before complaining. I redirect the whole process output to a log file, unfortunately I catch no message from TeX whatsoever, e.g. with "set && date && context hello" I get the env settings and the date, but no message from context.

I'll write a summary.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---