On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 11:06 PM, Paul Isambert <zappathus...@free.fr> wrote:
> Selon "Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd)" <p.tay...@rhul.ac.uk>:
>

>> Peter Davis wrote:
>> >    2. True or False: plain TeX and LaTeX(2e) are warhorses ... been
>> >       around for decades, quirks well known, lots of documentation, etc.
>>
>> Yes, except that while Plain TeX has more-or-less remained
>> static (modulo essential bug fixes by Don), LaTeX2e has
>> continued to evolve.  I have heard rumours that this particular
>> evolutionary branch may have come to an end, but I have
>> no definite knowledge of this.
>
> And plain TeX doesn't have a lot of documentation. Anyway there isn't much to
> document. Basically using plain TeX means you need a very good knowledge of
> the
> engine, and you'll write tons of macros (in a way there are no plain TeX
> users,
> only users of personal formats based on plain).
I consider  eplain as something "useful" between plain and latex

We should also consider that, in general,
0<size(plain)<size(eplain)<size(latex)<size(context_mkii)
and
speed(context_mkii)<=speed(latex)<speed(eplain)<speed(plain)
So for "trivial" typographic problems as automatic typesetting of labels
maybe eplain can be the right choice -- it's fast and doesn't consume
much memory hence you can have many instances.

ConTeXt mkiv is something new: while it's still "TeX", it has so many
"practical"
news that it needs time to understand all implications.
Also the engine (luatex) is still unfinished (currently at 64%) and
mkiv evolves as luatex evelves --- i.e. it's still "unstable" of one
compares with mkii.

--
luigi