Perhaps, by coincidence the example that I sent had the bbl file
sorted. But the full file does not have the references sorted. Does
this mean I have to first get the bbl file sorted. If so, how do I do
that?

Why is Hans quiet if this is a bug? He usually always says something
about when he will fix it.

Thanks.