Vedran Miletić <riva...@gmail.com> writes:

> 2010/12/12 Jonas Stein <n...@jonasstein.de>
>
>     Hi,
>
>     context in debian testing is quite old (2009)
>
>     will that destroy my packagemanager or is
>     it a good idea, to try this:
>
>     purge the installed context
>     as root run
>     # checkinstall bash
>     then the commands of
>     http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Minimals#System-wide_installation
>
> Yes. I have installed it that way in a computer that students use for
> education, and
> it works. We don't use LaTeX there, so I can't say if there is a conflict
> with it.
>
> Regards,
>
> Vedran Miletić

If you follow the Minimals instructions you won't have problems, because
the installation is self-contained. I suggest you not to put the `source
$INSTALLDIR/tex/setuptex` command in .bashrc or .bash_login, to keep clean
the PATH. Instead put an alias in ~/.bashrc

alias activatecontext="source $HOME/usr/context/tex/setuptex"

When you need to use context, execute `activatecontext` and use that
shell. If you use an integrated editor, start it from the shell where
you activate it. Do you want to use LaTeX or the old context shipped by
the distro? Start a fresh shell.

Maybe my explanation is still confused :-\, but I can elaborate further,
if needed.

--
Marco