I think I understand at least part of the problem now.

When I run ./first-setup.sh it runs
    /usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/x86_64-darwin/mktexlsr
    /usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/x86_64-darwin/mtxrun
instead of mktexlsr and mtxrun from the newly installed distribution.

Is anyone willing to try to change part of first-setup.sh into

Option A (more bullet-proof):
CONTEXTROOT="$PWD/tex"

OLDPATH=$PATH

# download or rsync the latest scripts first
rsync -rlptv rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/setup/$platform/bin .

# download or update the distribution
# you may remove the --context=beta switch if you want to use "current"
export PATH=$PWD/bin:"$CONTEXTROOT/texmf-$platform/bin":$OLDPATH
mtxrun --script ./bin/mtx-update.lua --force --update --engine=all
--context=beta --platform=$platform --texroot="$CONTEXTROOT" $@

export PATH="$CONTEXTROOT/texmf-$platform/bin":$OLDPATH
mtxrun --script ./bin/mtx-update.lua --force --make --engine=all $@
Option B:
CONTEXTROOT="$PWD/tex"

# download or rsync the latest scripts first
rsync -rlptv rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/setup/$platform/bin .

# download or update the distribution
# you may remove the --context=beta switch if you want to use "current"
export PATH=$PWD/bin:"$CONTEXTROOT/texmf-$platform/bin":$PATH
mtxrun --script ./bin/mtx-update.lua --force --update --make
--engine=all --context=beta --platform=$platform
--texroot="$CONTEXTROOT" $@

and test if that behaves any better?

The problem is that in the first step one doesn't necessary have
mtxrun & luatex at all or they might be too recent, so we have to put
"$PWD/bin/" in front of PATH. However it might be much better to use
(now existing) luatex and mtxrun from $CONTEXTROOT/texmf-$platform/bin
when updating the database and making formats. Later I decided that
one also needs $CONTEXTROOT/texmf-$platform/bin before calling
--update since mktexlsr is also called at the end of update.

I will rewrite some of the scripts from scratch anyway, but I hope
that this should work now. I would have to test whether there is a
more elegant way for enforcing some specific type of platform when
uname lies.

Mojca