On 2-2-2011 8:08, Peter Münster wrote:
Vnpenguin<vnpeng...@vnoss.org>  writes:

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 13:41, Peter Münster<pmli...@free.fr>  wrote:

no, i'm still trying to get mkii and mkiv working at the same time with a
fundamental different setup strategy .. getting there

Or perhaps 2 completely different distributions?
mkii: frozen, only some fixes from time to time
mkiv: no more mkii files, no more pdftex, just pure mkiv

Yes, I like this idea. I don't care about mkii, nor pdftex.

In the first place, this idea was meant to make Hans' life easier.
(not the user's life... ;-)

as there is not much code written for mkii the burden for me is not that large; also, now that the codebase is completely split, there is less danger of changes in one affecting the other

also, there are mkii users out there, including collegues, so it won't be dropped

installing mkiv only is already possible for a while

ok, we can have less files if we make a zip split, something that might happen at some point (i need to adapt my assembling script then)

for a moment i considered

base/mkii
base/mkiv
base/common

but it might not be worth the effort,

Hans

(who after many hours finally managed to get a beta of one of his favourite programs working on suse 11.3 as it kept crashing linux on 11.2 but well, it's beta for a reason)