Maybe the ConTeXt community can be of assistance to the LuaTeX bunch ...

As a new LuaTeX user, I came across the following problem: Using Lua(La)TeX,
customized kerning of letter pairs (via the FeatureFile capability of fontspec)
is ignored when it coincides with a possible hyphenation of a word (e.g.
between 'f' and 'h' in German words like 'aufhalten'; see first minimal example
below).

Ulrike Fischer was so kind to point out two things
(http://tug.org/pipermail/luatex/2011-February/002569.html): First, the problem
seems to be the break points between the adjusted kerning pairs. Second,
ConTeXt seems to handle this case correctly (see second minimal example below;
feature file bonum.fea from first example required).

I am no expert in neither LuaTeX nor context, but Ulrike suggested I post here
and ask if the (typographically correct) ConTeXt behavior or solution can be
reproduced with Lua(La)TeX.

Thanks,
- Till

1. Lua(La)TeX

\begin{filecontents*}{bonum.fea}
languagesystem DFLT dflt;
languagesystem latn dflt;
feature kern {
pos f h 100;
} kern;
\end{filecontents*}
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[ngerman]{babel}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont[FeatureFile=bonum.fea]{TeX Gyre Bonum}
\begin{document}
fh aufhalten
\end{document}

2. ConTeXt

\mainlanguage   [de]
\definefontfeature[test][featurefile=bonum,kern=yes]
\definefont[test][name:texgyrebonum*test]
\starttext
\test fh aufhalten