Thank you both.

I got as far as \dimexpr  (expressions) page in the Wiki, and all the words
made sense, more or less, but not the whole.

In case anyone else find this useful, I have success with Wolfgang 2 and 3,
with (2) being the simplest....but that may just be the fit to my brain.

It's building stacked progress bars for documents with subsections, in case
anyone searches this- colours and prettification to follow!

Ian