On Wed, 23 Mar 2011, Hans Hagen wrote:

On 23-3-2011 7:31, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
I would like to make some test of my virtual-lua-chessfonts with the
context minimals. The files I want to test are in a small texmf
trees. How can I add this trees to the list of trees used by context
in a way that the changes are not lost after updates?

you can use texmf-project (or texmf-fonts) for that (just create them if they are not there, the configuration handles it)

But what if one needs multiple trees, say one tree for each package. I am not sure what is the best way to set the trees in that case.

One could modify both texmf.cnf and texmfcnf.lua, but they will be overwritten in the next update. In which tree can I copy these files so that they are not overwritten when updating, but are still found by luatools/kpsewhich.

One can set $TEXMFLOCAL, but that will be global (all TeX installations).

I usually copy setuptex to a different name, modify TEXMFLOCAL (or whatever variable I want to change) in it, and then source this file instead of setuptex[1]. But surely there should be a cleaner way to do this.

Aditya

[1]: Actually, my installation scripts overwrite setuptex with this new file, each time I update context.