On Sat, 30 Apr 2011, Paul Menzel wrote:

Am Freitag, den 29.04.2011, 18:13 -0400 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:
On Fri, 29 Apr 2011, Paul Menzel wrote:

the filter module installed using
does not work with the following example, which is also attached.

The output file `minimal-temp-rest.tex` is just empty.

Running `filtercommand` in a terminal produces the *correct* output
though and no empty file.

Is that a known problem?

No. The content of the file should not affect whether the filter is run or
not. Can you add \traceexternalfilters on the top and check the output
(look for lines starting with t-filter).

The file works correctly on my machine.

That is weired.

Which version of pandoc are you using?

       $ pandoc --version
       pandoc 1.5.1.1

I am using 1.6 (the latest version is 1.8), but ...

As already written in my last mail. Executing the command directly works
fine.

I really have no idea why this is happening. Pandoc does not give too many debugging options. A couple of things to check:

- What happens is you use pandoc -f rst -t native? (The updated example on github)?

- If that fails, then try a simple rst file with a unicode letter (no table)?

- If that also fails, then a simple markdown file with a unicode letter.

- If that also fails, then some other program that reads a file and writes its contents to another file.

- Manually execute the shell command from inside ConTeXt using
\ctxlua{os.execute("....")}.

Also, what OS you are on?

       $ pandoc -f rst -t context -o rest-temp-rest.tex rest-temp-rest.tmp
       $ more rest-temp-rest.t*::::::::::::::
       rest-temp-rest.tex
       ::::::::::::::
       \placetable[here]{none}
       \starttable[|l|l|]
       \HL
       \NC test
       \NC table
       \NC\AR
       \HL
       \NC α
       \NC b
       \NC\AR
       \NC c
       \NC d
       \NC\AR
       \HL
       \stoptable
       ::::::::::::::
       rest-temp-rest.tmp
         test            table
       α                 b
       c                 d

Since the .tex file is created, it means that the filter module is running correctly. It is calling pandoc with the right options, and pandoc is creating an empty rest-temp-rest.tex file. Now I have no idea why that file is empty. IIRC, pandoc sometimes misbehaves due to locale settings (but I don't see why locale should be different when a program is run from inside context then when it is run from a shell).

I am stymied.

Aditya