> Does the problem appear if you use do not use simpleslides? If not, does
> it appear if you use style=default? This will help narrowing down the
> cause.

I've tried a "Hello world" file and also a non-simpleslides presentation tex
file, all of them work.

So it seems it's simpleslides and yeah, you where right, it's the styles.
I'm using "Split" for my presentation and as for the minimal I've provided
BigNumber, both fail at some point.
Using style=default, does not have this problem with qpdf.

I'm still trying out different styles and different slide content ...

Adam