On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 12:32, mathew <m...@pobox.com> wrote:
> But I just experimentally preconverted all my PNGs to PDF using
> ImageMagick, and my document dropped from 411k to 98k. The PNGs had
> previously been optimized with pngnq, so they were only 99k, and are
> 177k when converted to PDF, so this result is surprising.

Unfortunately, it looks as if it's not as general a result as the "use
EPS rather than PDF for SVG" rule.

I just tried another document, and that one grew by 90k when I
preconverted the PNGs to PDF (again using ImageMagick).

So it seems the answer to whether PDF or PNG gives better final
document size is to try both and see what happens. Not really ideal.

mathew