On Wed, 24 Aug 2011, Troy Henderson wrote:

have you tried the 'inbetween' or 'distance' parameter from
\setupcombinations?

Well what I would like would be for the following to work

\setupcombinations[before={\hfill},inbetween={\hfill},after={\hfill}]

but it doesn't do what I would like for it to do.

before and after go on the top and the bottom of the combination block, inbetween goes between the figure/table and the caption.

One possibility to simplify measurement is to abuse figurecollections (Please wikify).

\startbuffer[table:1]
\startTABLE
  \NC A \NC B \NC C \NC D \NC \NR
  \NC A \NC B \NC C \NC D \NC \NR
  \NC A \NC B \NC C \NC D \NC \NR
  \NC A \NC B \NC C \NC D \NC \NR
\stopTABLE
\stopbuffer

\startbuffer[table:2]
\startTABLE
  \NC A \NC B \NC C \NC D \NC E \NC F \NC \NR
  \NC A \NC B \NC C \NC D \NC E \NC F \NC \NR
  \NC A \NC B \NC C \NC D \NC E \NC F \NC \NR
  \NC A \NC B \NC C \NC D \NC E \NC F \NC \NR
  \NC A \NC B \NC C \NC D \NC E \NC F \NC \NR
  \NC A \NC B \NC C \NC D \NC E \NC F \NC \NR
  \NC A \NC B \NC C \NC D \NC E \NC F \NC \NR
  \NC A \NC B \NC C \NC D \NC E \NC F \NC \NR
\stopTABLE
\stopbuffer

% Ideally, we should be able to place the figure definitions inside the % \startexternalfigurecollection, but that macro starts a group, so the % figure definitions inside are lost.

\useexternalfigure[one][table:1][method=buffer]
\useexternalfigure[two][table:2][method=buffer]

\startexternalfigurecollection[tables]
  \useexternalfigure[dummy][one]
  \useexternalfigure[dummy][two]
\stopexternalfigurecollection

\definemeasure
 [sidebyside]
  [\the\dimexpr\hsize/2
  - \externalfigurecollectionmaxwidth{tables}/2
  - \externalfigurecollectionminwidth{tables}/2]

\definecombination[sidebyside]
                  [distance=\measure{sidebyside},
                   location=middle]

\starttext