I am afraid I don't completely understand this. Doing:
\startbuffer[fig-1]
\startMPcode
draw origin-(20,0) .. origin+(0,20) .. origin+(20,0) .. origin+(0,-20) .. cycle
withcolor darkgreen;
label(textext("Test"),origin);
\stopMPcode
\stopbuffer
\starttext
\processMPbuffer[fig-1]
\stoptext

I get the error:
! Argument of \dostartMPpositiongraphic has an extra }.

system          > tex > error on line 8 in file onfly.tex: Argument of  ...

 1     \startbuffer[fig-1]
 2     \startMPcode
 3     draw origin-(20,0) .. origin+(0,20) .. origin+(20,0) .. origin+(0,-20)
.. cycle withcolor darkgreen;
 4     label(textext("Test"),origin);
 5     \stopMPcode
 6     \stopbuffer
 7     \starttext
 8 >>  \processMPbuffer[fig-1]
..

<inserted text>
                \par
<to be read again>
                   }
\processMPgraphic ...le ;\!!es , \MPaskedfigure )}
                                                  }\egroup \placeMPgraphic \...
\doprocessMPbuffer ...("\currentMPgraphicname ")}}
                                                  \endMPgraphicgroup
l.8 \processMPbuffer[fig-1]

Hans van der Meer