> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> is the following possible?
> >>
> >> List of figures
> >> 1.1 Figure caption . . . . . . 2
> >>
> >> <page break>
> >> *imagine figure here
> >> Figure 1.1: Figure caption is a lot longer than it appears in the list of
> figures.
> >>
> >> I'd like to shorten the captions in the list of figures that I
> >> produce using \placelist[figure] (preferably cut off clean, no
> >> ellipsis or the like). I know about \nomarking{} but it seems to
> >> apply only to chapter, section etc. titles.
> >
> > This is indeed possible, using \select; see
> >
> http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20060501.171706.24b88466.en.h
> tml .
> >
> > Example usage:
> >
> > \defineselector[caption][max=2,n=2]
> > \starttext
> > \setupselector[caption][n=1]
> > \completelistoffigures
> > \setupselector[caption][n=2]
> > \placefigure[][]
> > {\select{caption}
> >  {A short caption}
> >  {A rather longer caption which will appear below the figure itself}}
> > {This is the content of the actual figure} \stoptext
>
> WIth the current beta you can write:
>
> \startplacefigure[title={A rather long caption …},list={A short caption}]
> \externalfigure[…] \stopplacefigure

Wow, that is even better! I updated to latest beta because of this and it works
like a charm:)

P.S: Now I'also getting the 1.7MB pdf when including the png-file, like
mentioned in the thread "terrible png placement". (ConTeXt  ver: 2011.11.09
20:58 MKIV, LuaTeX, Version beta-0.70.1-2011110321 (rev 4277), Win32)
But I don't have png's in my work file, so that's no biggie.