Am 16.01.2012 um 15:43 schrieb Felix Ingram:

> Hi all,
>
> This works as expected* (empty section title with "5 6 7 8" on the next line
>
> \definenumber[examplecounter]
> \setnumber[examplecounter]{5}
> \starttext
> \startsection
> \getnumber[examplecounter]
> \incrementnumber[examplecounter]
> \getnumber[examplecounter]
> \incrementnumber[examplecounter]
> \getnumber[examplecounter]
> \incrementnumber[examplecounter]
> \getnumber[examplecounter]
> \incrementnumber[examplecounter]
> \stopsection
> \stoptext
>
> This does not:
>
> \definenumber[examplecounter]
> \setnumber[examplecounter]{5}
> \starttext
> \startchapter
> \getnumber[examplecounter]
> \incrementnumber[examplecounter]
> \getnumber[examplecounter]
> \incrementnumber[examplecounter]
> \getnumber[examplecounter]
> \incrementnumber[examplecounter]
> \getnumber[examplecounter]
> \incrementnumber[examplecounter]
> \stopchapter
> \stoptext
>
> The second example has an empty chapter heading followed by "1. 1.1 1.2 1.3".
>
> This is on version: 2011.11.29. Apologies if this is has been
> addressed - I'm holding off updating until I've worked out some more
> features in my doc.

By default the counter is reset with each new chapter, since you have chapters
in your first example the counter is incremented but in your second example
\startchapter sets the counter back to zero.

To have a counter which isn’t reset you need “way=bytext" and to remove
the chapter number from the \getnumber result you have to add “prefix=no”.

The full \definenumber declaration is then
\definenumber[examplecounter][way=bytext,prefix=no]

Wolfgang