Hello,
** Kip Warner [2012-01-17 17:47:21 -0800]:

> On Tue, 2012-01-17 at 13:38 +0900, Vladimir Lomov wrote:

> Hey Vlad.

Actually Vladimir, Vlad is usually used as short for Vladislav.

>> (not an expert, just read command reference)
>>> (1) What is the difference between \definedescription and
>>> \setupdescriptions?
>> the first should define new "description", the second change style of
>> already defined "description".

> Ah, so \setupdescriptions inherits the default values of
> \definedescription?

I suppose no, '\define...', eh-m, defines a command while '\setup...', eh-m,
sets up its 'style'. When one defines a command one could set its
custom 'style' instead of default.

Consider the following example:
<example file="ex1.tex">
\starttext

\definedescription[definition]

\definition{Hi} This is first definition.

\setupdescriptions[definition][headstyle=italic,color=blue]

\definition{Hi2} This is second definition.

\stoptext
</example>

The first 'definition' would be:
[bold] TEXT
after '\setup...' it would be
[italic] <BLUE COLOR>TEXT</BLUE COLOR>

>>> (2) What is the difference between \definition and \description?
>> This example
>> <example>
>> \starttext

>> \definition{Hi}

>> \stoptext
>> </example>
>> gives error: "Undefined control sequence ...". Where this command is
>> defined?

> In section 10.2 of the ConTeXt User Manual (p222 of the pdf). Maybe it
> is a type:

> An example of the definition is:
> \definedescription[definition][location=top,headstyle=bold]
> search
> \definition{icon}

> Or maybe you mean \description which is on the same page.

May be because this is an example? I would say that ConTeX User Manual
shows different commands from context itself and how one could define
custom commands. The '\definition' is one them.

>>> (3) How do I change the colour of the definition header? I tried the
>>> following, but it did not work:

>>> \setuphead
>>>   [definition]
>>>   [color=colour_head]

>> If I were you I would do that:
>> <example>
>> \starttext

>> \definedescription[definition][headcolor=colour_head]

>> \definition{Hi}. This is definition.
>> \setupdescriptions[definition][headcolor=colour_head2]

>> \definition{Hi2}. This is second definition.

>> \stoptext
>> </example>

> Thank you. That makes sense now. But why does \setuphead[definition]
> method not work?

I don't know but reading manuals (context and latex ones), wiki and etc
somehow convince me that 'head' relates with section heading (styling),
for the rest there are '\setup...' commands and 'headstyle' key (not
always, of course), may be that's why I always consult reference on wiki
and sometimes source code.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
The only way to learn a new programming language is by writing programs in it.
- Brian Kernighan