On 2012-01-23 Kip Warner <k...@thevertigo.com> wrote:

> If    Inkscape   isn't    installed    and   the    user
> \externalfigure's  an  SVG,  is  an  error  raised  with
> ConTeXt?

Yes and no. An error is  raised, but no hint that inkscape
is missing. ConTeXt says:

!LuaTeX error: cannot find image file 'm_k_i_v_pic.pdf'
 ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

mtx-context     | fatal error: return code: 70

It  assumes that  the  conversion was  successful and  the
converted file  is present,  that's at  least what  I read
from the error message. A more user friendly error message
would be:

!LuaTeX error: cannot find inkscape to convert image file 'pic.svg'
 ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

Marco