On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 07:55:51PM +0100, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> to bring some traffic to the list I have a question where I hope even non
> regulars send a answer. The ConTeXt package is huge and provides dozen of
> commands but I guess many have *one* favorite command (maybe also
> functionality).
>
> As I started this thread I’ll present my favorite command which is
> \donothing, it is a internal command and only a synonym for \empty but it’s
> one reason why I prefer ConTeXt’s coding style (especially with the recent
> changes in MkIV) over the unreadable LaTeX code.
>
> Wolfgang

Not quite the same as \null:
\def\null {\hbox{}}

My (LaTeX) code used to always be riddled with \mbox{}
(somehow, I got into the habit of using this rather than \hbox{})

But this is not my favorite.

Believe it or not, I quite often make the error of typing '\startext'.
(Hans, don't think about adding this as a synonym - each time that I make this
mistake I am quite happy to get an error message... This is what I get for
typing and reading too fast!)

I do like unicode support.

However, what I like best about ConTeXt commands is consistency, where the
choice of syntax is constantly moving towards standardization. Often, when I
want to do something new, I just try what seems logical, using the very same
keywords as used elsewhere (when appropriate), and usually this just works!

Alan

P.S. I regret that ConTeXt and Mojca's \simplethesis command was not available
when I needed it!