On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 9:31 AM, luigi scarso <luigi.sca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl> wrote:
>> On 18-2-2012 08:17, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>
>>> I would really prefer to use only html tags when a epub file is produced,
>>> now the files can be only viewed without problems in firefox (with the
>>> epubreader extension) which is nonsense. With the epub 3 standard also
>>> mathml is supported and when a reader is used which doesn’t understand it
>>> that’s no problem because the standard is AFAIK backward compatible and
>>> unknown functions are just ignored.
>>

>> In that case some postprocessing has to be applied to as it makes no sense
>> to add tons of code to context to produce a less rich output (also a pain to
>> do and it will never be ok). We would end up with ugly kludges like misusing
>> <h1> for whatever we like combined with classes that make it titles, section
>> numbers, inline highlighting, etc ...
>>
>> The export is not so much html but xhtml and afaik css can deal with that. I
>> woudn't be surprised if future ebook devices could do the same as what
>> firefox/chrome do. Also keep in mind that the (now xml) export can be
>> converted while some html/class/span/div hybrid would be painful to
>> postprocess. Going from rich encoding to poor encoding (rendering) is easier
>> than the reverse. I can imagine that we provide a couple of mappings from
>> export xml to whatever html.
> http://code.google.com/p/sigil/
> has a checker, and it shows some errors. Last time
sorry...
http://code.google.com/p/sigil/
has a checker, and it shows some errors. Last time I was quite busy to
fix ids and something else, but it was before the epub 3.0
which claims to support mathml. I'm still studying the xhtml back end,
I hope in the meanwhile that a good epub 3.0 checker appears .

--
luigi