Marks aren’t the right tool for this because they are meant for text which
goes into the header and footer after the page is finished. There is another
mechanism which does what you want.

\setupheadertexts[chapter]

\define[2]\ChapterCommand
   {\vbox\bgroup\starttabulate
    \NC Title   \EQ \structurevariable{title}   \NC\NR
    \NC Marking \EQ \structurevariable{marking} \NC\NR
    \stoptabulate\egroup}

\setuphead[chapter][command=\ChapterCommand]

\starttext

\startchapter[title={Hello World},marking={A}]

\starttabulate
\NC Title   \EQ \namedstructurevariable{chapter}{title}   \NC\NR
\NC Marking \EQ \namedstructurevariable{chapter}{marking} \NC\NR
\stoptabulate

\stopchapter

\stoptext

Wolfgang

Thank you, Wolfgang! The example was maybe too minimal - what I'm looking for is for an xml conversion; I want to define a command that will do different things depending on the chapter it is in, so I thought \getmarking was the way to go (with a \doifelse test). But \namedstructurevariable is as well.

Thanks

Thomas
--
Prof. Dr. Thomas A. Schmitz
Abteilung für Griechische und Lateinische Philologie