Hi Kip,

On 2012-04-13 17:34, Kip Warner wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-04-13 at 06:51 +0200, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> > > (1) I'd like it such that each time I use \cite, the full citation and
> > > not just "(Some One, 1967)" appears in a footnote, rather than inline.
>
> > Have you tried something along the lines of this
> >
> >     \let \goodoldcite \cite
> >     \unexpanded\def\cite#1{\footnote{\goodoldcite{#1}}}
>
> Yes, it doesn't work though. All I see are footnotes that contain
> "(Xxxxxxxxxx, 0000)". But maybe I am not using it properly. I just use
> \cite[reference] and that is what I see.

Sorry, my bad. I forgot that the builtin “\cite” macro takes
bracketed args, not braced ... So, the listing below is tested,
make sure you have the file context/bib/sample.bib in $PWD:

········································································
\setupbibtex[
  database=sample,
  sort=author,
]

\setuppublications[
  alternative=apa,
]

\glet\originalcite\cite
\let\cite\relax

\unprotect

\def\cite{\dodoubleempty\do_cite}

\def\do_cite[#1][#2]{%
  %%% Wraps citations into footnotes.
  \iffirstargument
    \startfootnote
    \ifsecondargument
      \originalcite[#1][#2]%
    \else
      \originalcite[#1]%
    \fi
    \stopfootnote
  \fi%
}

\protect

\starttext

\section{nova methodos referendi}
\input knuth\cite[hh2010]

\stoptext \endinput
········································································

> > 2 You want “\cite” to retrieve full citations? Assuming this
> >   requires that they contain the complete names of authors,
> >   editors and stuff, you might be out of luck. Last time I
> >   checked this was impossible to realize within the constraints
> >   of the bib module:
> >   http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20100212.073108.f4699471.en.html
>
> Ouch. So basically no footnote citations like in most of the books I
> read. You'd think there would just be a \cite[everything] option?

You get footnote citations (see above). The problem is how you
(or your bib style, for that matter) define *full citation*. If
it’s ok to have the crippled version like “Leibniz, G. W.”
instead of “Leibniz, Gottfried Wilhelm” or (as I needed it)
without inversion “Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz”, it might suffice
to use “\cite[alternative=data][my_bib_key]”.

> > Hth. Anyways, you’re right, the native Context bib support is not
> > really fulfilling.
>
> =(

I’ve been following this thread and it would appear that most
people who are in some way working with citations /
bibliographies are avoiding the built-in facilities. I confess
I’m no exception; writing my own bib support was in fact a
prerequisite that made Context usable for me in the first place.
It handles these full citations, inverted author or not, but it’s
by no means a general solution. If you’re really stuck with your
citation issues I can mail you the repo off-list, but you will
have to know your way around (occasionally badly written) Lua
code in order to adapt it in any way.

On the other hand, there’s been an announcement by Paul Isambert
some time ago that his *Librarian* package cooperates with
Context in some way:
> http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20100405.024343.6e4aa50d.en.html
From the documentation it looks pretty powerful. Have never used
it myself, though.

Sorry for the delay, exams and stuff ...
Philipp