Hello Jano,

On May 26, 2012, at 2:12 PM, Jano Kula wrote:

> Hello Andy,
>
> On 05/23/2012 04:09 PM, Andy Thomas wrote:
>> I finished a first version of a tufte style sample document that is based on
>> a predecessor in another macro language. The auto alignment of the marginals
>> has to be improved, but the rest looks already quite decent.
>>
>> Please see:
>> https://pub.uni-bielefeld.de/luur/download?func=downloadFile&recordOId=2303165&fileOId=2303168
>>
>> for a full sample document.
>
> Nice work! Decent and nice design, good typesetting, I assume some hand work
> which of course cannot be avoided to make the result pleasing.

thank you for the positive feedback. The example thesis has a lot of hand work.
However, in the end I would like to have something that looks 95% instead of
100%, but fully automatic. Then, I could output the same text in different
output formats (book, handouts for every chapter, e-reader, ...), tweaking
every file would cost too much time.

> Just two remarks to the layout. Figure descriptions set in to the block
> (narrow column) produces too large spaces in the lines often. Ragged text
> would suit it better, I think.

Seven Thesis were made, so far, and everyone plays a little with the overall
design to see how things look when tweaked a little. But justified is not
ideal, I agree.

> Side notes set ragged left (rigth justyfied) on left pages are quite
> difficult to read, I would make them ragged right (left justified) on all
> pages and.

I guess you want to say [...]  it would [not] break the overall design at all
;) I like the look of ragged outer when just looking at a double page from far.
It does make reading more difficult. I still cannot decide. In the end
legibility should be more important, so ragged right is better like you said.

> Just wondering, why is Optima-Regular embeded so many times?

We wanted to have a sans serif font for the viewgraphs that matches the
Palatino (orig. 1948). So we went for Optima (1952-1955 and also from Hermann
Zapf). Wikipedia says "Optima's capitals (like Palatino's) are directly derived
from the classic Roman monumental capital model [...]". I think, it does look
good together. We also wanted a TeX Gyre font as main font, so that it is
available on every system.

> Regards,
>
> Jano

Aditya Mahajan contextified the github sources. It might be good to download
the new stuff. Thanks for the help.

Andy