On 06/18/2012 04:19 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
and then use pstopdf to turn the pdf into an eps
You must mean pdftops, since pstopdf cannot convert pdf files into eps but pdftops can.

I tried pdftops, the result quality is high, but since my desire is to provide eps figures to others that have to insert high quality figures into Microsoft Word, the pdftops converted eps files cannot insert into Microsoft Word. Fortunately, I have found out that pstopdf uses ghostscript/Inkscape to do the real job, and I use ghostscript directly to convert pdf into eps, the quality is high enough with the -dNOCACHE option (I had tried inkscape before my last posting a few weeks ago, and the resulting quality is not high enough when I'm using Fedora 16. But it seems that inkscape in Fedora 17 produces better quality now, though ghostscript is better), and it can be recognized by Microsoft Word.

Thanks for the information.