On 20-6-2012 18:37, Bill Meahan wrote:

1. Running the command as shown generates a spell-xx.lua file but
complains about a spell-xx.lucluac file not being present.

luac compiles the lau file into bytecode (luac comes with lua and needs to match the lua version in scite)

2. The lexer does not load the spell-xx.lua file but will find the
spell-xx.txt file and try to use that.

3. English words are only found if the 'xx' is 'uk' while 'en' or 'us'
or 'ca' (Canadian) are not found no matter if % language={en | us | ca}
(one choice only, I'm just using shorthand here). uk is one particular
form of English with particular spelling rules (e.g. 'our' instead of
'or' in words like 'honour' &al. There are also some terms proper in UK
English that are not considered proper in US English and vice versa.) If
all variants are not allowed, the generic 'en' ought to be used instead
of 'uk' as it could be confusing to non-UK users. Ozzies and Kiwis may
not mind but Yanks and Canucks do. :-)

hm, do you have spell-ca and spell-en etc files? there is no hard coded uk check

4. Every 3-letter word is indicated as misspelled. This may be a
side-effect of using the SCOWL word lists as they only deal with words >
3-letters (except for some acronyms). Hence common words like 'was' or
'who' or 'and' are marked as misspelled.

indeed, internally there is a limit of length 2

i can probably do a check for length i.e. if no 3 character words then also no checking

5. Only the first screen-full of text was color-coded. The rest of my
document did not even have keyword highlighting. Turning off the
spell-checking by removing the 'language=uk' line restored keyword
highlighting throughout the whole file.

weird

Yes, that is a big wordlist but decades of doing crosswords has left me
with a large vocabulary. ;-)