On Wed, Jul 25 2012, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> Each cell of a TABLE is already a \frame, so you don't need to add a \framed
> inside a cell.

Indeed, but at some point during my experimentation, I found
differences with or without inner frame...

I think, I've found, what had bothered me: strut=yes has no effect when
offset=overlay. A strut has to be added manually. This is what I have
now, and it finally works:

\starttext
\framed[height=5cm, offset=overlay]{%
  \bTABLE[offset=overlay]
  \bTR
  \bTD \strut 1~ \eTD
  \bTD[height=max, align=flushleft]
  \strut 1 Über\crlf 1 and 1 are aligned! \vfill \rightaligned{bla} \eTD \eTR
\eTABLE}

           Peter