On 27-7-2012 11:36, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

Am 26.07.2012 um 19:35 schrieb Hans Hagen:

On 26-7-2012 17:59, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
Hi Hans, hi friends,

while the PDF that are produced by MkIV show no problems, some applications
that use these PDF files for post-processing have big problems with
CID/Encoding Identity-H.

For example (as far as I have understood) german umlauts eg. "รค" are not recognized
anymore but split in eg. "a" and diaeresis (with a space between?).

I was told, that other PDF creators have an option to avoid using this kind of
encoding.

Is this also possible with MkIV?

afaik context output the right tounicode info so i have no clue what goes wrong
there

me neither.

the pdf produced with MkII never ran into this post-processing trouble.
they had this font info, eg.:

Type: Type 1
Encoding: Custom

probably not always, i.e. when ttf fonts were used it would use those and related embedding methods but hardly anyone uses ttf in pdftex

while all fonts I have tested with MkIV result in this:

Type: Type 1 (CID)
Encoding: Identity-H

and this double-byte encoding confuses the pdf-post-processing machines (I was
told).
therefore we are asked to change it.

you can try to send them ps (pdftops)

is there a chance to do so?

they should update their machines (read: there is no way that luatex will provide split into type1 functionality)

(Luigi and Martin probably can explain it better)