On Sat, 2012-08-11 at 01:05 +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> hm, suspicious

Really? It's over 300 pages in length and contains plenty of vector
graphics (more text). But actually that 70 MB seems an overestimate and
I must have been looking at something else.

> yes, that's best because as soon as that command is called, the set
> value of 'level' is used, no matter what other values has been set

Here is the result of some experimentation:

23,396,929 Bytes using just \setupbackend[level=9].

21,945,243 Bytes using the aforementioned, \pdfcompresslevel9, and
\maximumpdfcompression.

23,396,827 Bytes using none of those three.

So I guess I'm still not sure which one to use since the one you said
should be sufficient doesn't seem to compress it fully.

> never use \pdf* commands directly .. way too low level and use the oher
> command only for fast tests (i use it in small test files)

Understood.

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred