On 2012-09-07 Bill Meahan <subscribed_li...@meahan.net> wrote:

> After being on the internet since the early 1980's I can say with
> certainty if one person is having a particular problem others have or
> will have it, too. A searchable archive of answers (like a mailing list
> archive) is far more valuable than the ephemeral presence of any sort of
> IM channel.

I totally agree. If I get you right, you think that the IRC will
receive problem solutions that the mailing list will miss. That's a
valid point I had in mind, as well. With another channel the
information will be spread out even more, which might not be
desirable.

> IM channels are really helpful when an "expert" needs to walk someone
> through something or do interactive problem investigations in real-time,

That was the scenario I had in mind.

> but "answers," regardless of how unique they seem at the time, are best
> kept where others can find them because they *will* be needed again.

Cannot agree more.

Thanks for your opinion.

Marco