On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 04:58:11PM +0200, Andreas Mang wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Not quite sure if this is the right place. I wanted to send this
> directly to Khaled Hosny, but then I thought it might be good to have
> some additional opinion on some of these issues (I am not quite sure
> if some of this is intended behaviour).
>
> I have collected some examples for which I think there are some
> scaling and spacing problems in xits.
>
> Also, small caps are not supported. Is this intended?!
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Cheers,
> Andreas
>

> %%%%%%%%%%%% MINIMAL EXAMPLE %%%%%%%%%%%%
> \setupbodyfont[xits,11pt]
>
> \starttext
> $\diamond$ % too small?!
>
> $\square$ % OK?!
>
> $\blacktriangleright$ % too big?!
>
> $\blacktriangleleft$ % too big?!
>
> $\blacktriangle$ % too big?!
>
> $\blacktriangledown$ % too big?!

None of those glyphs were changed in XITS, they are exactly the same as
the ones in STIX fonts, so possibly ConTeXt is using the wrong Unicode
character for those symbols. The later two are smaller with LaTeX
package unicode-math.

> {\sc Word} % not supported ?!

Right, there is no smallcaps, probably you can use some other Times-like
font for smallcaps.

> $\tilde{W}^i$ $W^i$ % using a superscript in case
>                     % an accent is used results in
>                     % a too small distance between letter
>                     % and superscript

Looks like a ConTeXt issue, both render the same with (xe|lua)latex
(using unicode-math).

> $f^i$ % distance too small (seems to be just the case for $f$, see e.g. $h^i$
> $t^i$)

Looks fine here.

Regards,
 Khaled