>> It would be REALLY NICE if the functionality of "pathrelativetome" was
>> provided by ConTeXt.
>
> in file-job.lua add around the function 'process':

You make me really happy, Hans! :-)
I will change file-job.lua on my system to test. I can do this only on
Wednesday.

> local function toppath()
> [...]
>    local pathname = dirname(inputstack[#inputstack] or "")

I didn't check it in lua. But the unix command "dirname" returns "."
if given an empty string. That is,
$ dirname ''
.

I don't know when "inputstack" could be empty... but maybe a warning
should be issued, and the return value of toppath should be declared
undefined. That is, it would be an error to call toppath if
"inputstack" is empty.

> [...]
> resolvers.toppath = topath

toppath? (double "p")

> Then you can something:
> [...]
>     \component toppath:/subpath/somefile.tex

Nice.

> All given that the top of the inputstack is still ok.

Maybe the code could have some sort of "assertion" to
1. check for "stack underflow"; and/or
2. check if the file "somefile.tex" exists in the directory being
popped from the stack.
Just for "bug catching"...

> If needed I can push/pop some relative code to start/stopcomponent alike
> code, in which case we will use a different prefix (no clue what name to
> use)

I don't think it is needed, since the toppath mechanism is rather
generic. Writing "\component toppath:/subpath/somefile.tex" is fine by
me. Unless you think that "start/stopcomponent" should be deprecated
(or, at least, discouraged) in favour of this new version.

Maybe it would be nice to have a function that returns the value of
"inputstack[#inputstack]". But I don't know if it is useful...

Thank you very very much for your time!

André Caldas.