On Tue, 16 Oct 2012, Hans Hagen wrote:

On 16-10-2012 23:33, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

I actually use these abstractions, but with the default value also set.
That's the whole point of having the defaults, right? So, my current
solution is:

\setupexternalfigures[scale=750, factor=max, maxwidth=\textwidth,
maxheight=\textheight]

\defineexternalfigure[grid]
     [width=0.55\paperwidth, height=0.33\paperwidth, scale=, factor=]

Around five months ago, I did not need to reset scale and factor.

The code now uses the new inheritance mechamisn and in mkii external figures had a whole bunch of (sometimes tricky) resets. Some were reset, some not.

I know. In the past I had to work around the fact that scale could not be set globally (because it was reset at each invocation). The current behavior (everything inherits from the global setting) is more predictable and easier to handle.

One complication with externalfigures is that scaling can depend on combinations (width, maxwidth etc).

... and the only way to figure out that dependence is to read the source code. At some stage I'll try to document how scale and factor work.

Aditya