Please try the following example:

-- start code --

\setupbackend[export=yes,xhtml=test_00.xhtml]

\mainlanguage[de]
\language[de]

\setupexport
   [title={A nice book},
    author={Andy Tom},
    firstpage={huhn.jpg},
   ]

\starttext
Hello world!
\stoptext

-- end code --

The firstpage export value (huhn.jpg) is your cover image. Please put huhn.jpg
or something else in the same directory as your tex file. I named the tex=file
test_00.tex in my case.

After compiling with the latest context, you can run 'mtxrun --script epub
--make test_00.specification' to generate the epub file.

Please note two more things:
(1) The mtx-epub script was broken a couple of days ago. Well not actually
broken, but somehow an old version sneaked in. If the author names and such do
not get exported into the epub, this might as well be the case for you. The
latest one (ver: 2012.11.14 11:37 MKIV  fmt: 2012.11.16) works fine again.
(2) Calibre and other readers as well as e.g. the ipad have some nasty caching
feature. In case you change little things and try to reload the same book in
your reader, it might still show the old one from the cache. I found, that
deleting the 'old' book first works most of the times.

I just started working on the epub output of my lecture notes again, since
there were no readers able to output math until 2 weeks ago.

If I find some time later, I will update the epub page in the wiki.

I hope that helps.

Andy