On Mon, 19 Nov 2012, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 4:34 AM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
On Sun, 18 Nov 2012, Bill Meahan wrote:

2. Something is messed up in $HOME/texmf or $HOME/.texlive2012. Rename
these directories to something different and try again.

Done that several times -- no dice

I normally do not use TL, but looked into it, and the texmfcnf.lua script
distributed with texlive does not look right. I am attaching the output of
mtxrun --generate that I get. Note the following liines:

resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOLOC' set to '/usr/bin'
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTODIR' set to '/usr'
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOPARENT' set to '.'

It looks as if you were using Debian/Ubuntu? Or any other flavour of
Linux with a native TeX Live package?

Yes and sorry, I should have mentioned that. I am using Texlive from archlinux. I was under the impression that archlinux simply includes the upstream pacakges without any changes, but it appears that TL expects that it will be installed in /usr/local/.... so installing the binaries i n /usr/bin confuses texmfcnf.lua

So I wonder how does context (MkIV) work at all with TL2012!

Maybe it just doesn't work with your linux box :P
One explanation could be that texmfcnf.lua hasn't been configured properly.
It works with plain TeX Live with default installation.

I'll check if Archlinux uses the same texmfcnf.lua as TL or not. If not, I'll report a bug upstream to archlinux.

Is the expectation that texmfcnf.lua will work out of the box for a standard linux installation (just like texmf.cnf), or should each distribution tweak texmfcnf.lua?

Aditya