On 11/20/2012 5:21 PM, Willi Egger wrote:
Hi all,

could someone bring light into the way how to use symbols…in MKIV

I wanted to extract a symbol from uzdr (Zapfdingbats).

(Somehow uzdr.afm and uzdr.pfb are not in my tex tree. I always thought that they were part of the standalone but nothing surprises me as these fonts have a history of instability.)

(Copied from an upcoming font manual:)

\startsection[title=Unicoding]

Nowadays we will mostly use fonts that ship with a \UNICODE\ aware encoding. And
in \CONTEXT, even if we use a \TYPEONE\ font, it gets mapped onto \UNICODE.
However, there are some exceptions, for instance the Zapf Dingbats in \TYPEONE\ format. These have a rather obscure private encoding and the glyph names run from \type {a1} upto \type {a206} and have no relation to what the glyph represents.

In the case of Dingbats we're somewhat lucky that they ended up in \UNICODE, so we can relocate the glyphs to match their rightful place. This is done by means of a goodies file. We already discussed this in \in {section} [goodies] so we
only repeat the usage.

\startbuffer
\definefontfeature
  [dingbats]
  [mode=base,
   goodies=dingbats,
   unicoding=yes]

\definefontsynonym
  [ZapfDingbats]
  [file:uzdr.afm]
  [features=dingbats]
\stopbuffer

\typebuffer \getbuffer

I tend to qualify the Dingbat font in \TEX\ distributions as rather unstable
because of name changes and them either or not being included. Therefore it's best to use the hard coded name because that triggers the most visible error message when
the font is not found.

A font like this can for instance be used with the glyph placement macros as is demonstrated below. In the last line we see that a direct \UTF\ input also works
out well.

\starttabulate[|||]
\HL
\NC \type{\getglyphdirect {ZapfDingbats*dingbats}{\number"2701}} \NC \getglyphdirect {ZapfDingbats*dingbats}{\number"2701} \NC \NR \NC \type{\getglyphdirect {ZapfDingbats*dingbats}{\char"2701}} \NC \getglyphdirect {ZapfDingbats*dingbats}{\char"2701} \NC \NR \NC \type{\getnamedglyphdirect{ZapfDingbats*dingbats}{a1}} \NC \getnamedglyphdirect{ZapfDingbats*dingbats}{a1} \NC \NR \NC \type{\getnamedglyphdirect{ZapfDingbats*dingbats}{a11}} \NC \getnamedglyphdirect{ZapfDingbats*dingbats}{a11} \NC \NR
\HL
\NC \type{\getglyphdirect {ZapfDingbats}{\number"2701}} \NC \getglyphdirect {ZapfDingbats}{\number"2701} \NC \NR \NC \type{\getglyphdirect {ZapfDingbats}{\char"2701}} \NC \getglyphdirect {ZapfDingbats}{\char"2701} \NC \NR \NC \type{\getnamedglyphdirect{ZapfDingbats}{a1}} \NC \getnamedglyphdirect{ZapfDingbats}{a1} \NC \NR \NC \type{\getnamedglyphdirect{ZapfDingbats}{a11}} \NC \getnamedglyphdirect{ZapfDingbats}{a11} \NC \NR
\HL
\NC \type{\definedfont[ZapfDingbats*dingbats]✁} \NC \definedfont[ZapfDingbats*dingbats]✁ \NC \NR
\HL
\stoptabulate

Keep in mind that fonts like Dejavu (that we use here as document font) already has these characters which is why it shows up in the verbose part of the table.

\stopsection