Hi,

as of actual need I summed up all kinds of formula numbering - some
basics are working. You can find this list on my user talk page:

        http://wiki.contextgarden.net/User_talk:Zenlima

As I also found a note in str-math.mkiv that it needs to be rewritten
and the example syntax which leaded me to confusion in the past, I
worked out a suggestion for a more intuitive syntax for formula
numbering.

In sum it ends with:

All three commands:
        \NR
        \placeformula
        \formualanumber
will share the same attributes:
        * sublevel (maybe better: formulalevel or just level?)
          to define and concrete the (sub-)level of the formula
        * listlabel (maybe textlabel? the numberlabel is still needed)
          to add a entry in the list of formulas
        * reference
          just a classic reference in order to link to it
so that the syntax is more intuitive during the writing.

Also. this way the commands:
        placesubformula
        placenamedformula
        placenamedsubformula
        startstopsubformulas
        subformulanumber
will become needless.

For the "why" and examples please look at:

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/User_talk:Zenlima#Suggestion_for_new_syntax

I hope you will find parts you like and feel free to add your
opinion. :-)

H.