On 3/20/2013 8:24 AM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 23:46:35 +0100
Sietse Brouwer <sbbrou...@gmail.com> wrote:

[1] http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Tabulate

There is \starttabulate and \starttable.
I understand that they use different mechanisms, even though their
syntax are parallel. The wiki page [1] warns against the use of macros
in tabulate, but this seems a bit obscure. Also, Tables_Overview
recommends tabulate for simple tables and flags both table and tables as
depreciated. I hesitate to add this information at the top of the wiki
pages: Tabulate, Table and Tables as I am not clear about the status
of these three mechanisms...

The obscurity comes from the fact that a tabulate is typeset multipass so macro definitions might have changed between first and last columns / rows. This is probably less of an issu ein mkiv.

One question: is it possible to span columns using tabulate as in
table: \Use{n}[format]{data}?

no. okay, I sometimes cheat: \rlap{data} works out well