Indeed, adding \usetypescriptfile[euler]\usetypescript[euler] before \starttext
makes the extra vertical spacing go away in a simple test file. But that
doesn't solve my problem, because I am typesetting xml data wherein a font
change can be dictated from the inside. See the example code (supporting
modules not included):

\startbuffer[font]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<root>
First line.<br/>
<fontswitch family="euler">
Font switch here.
</fontswitch><br/>
Last line.
</root>
\stopbuffer
\xmlprocessbuffer{root}{font}{}

There is no way to have the typescript loaded before the \starttext, because it
is not known what fonts will be called up by the xml. And loading it from
within the data processed is too late.
I therefore conclude that this typescript problem should be fundamentally
solved, instead of resorting to a subterfuge as loading things beforehand to
avoid - what seems to me - coding mistakes.

Hans van der Meer