This is but a partial solution in my case, for two reasons:
1. \textstyle=\small gives few control, I tried textstyle=5pt without result
2. the setup cannot be placed inside \startuseMPgraphic, where I need it most.

I skimmed through meta-ini.mkiv, but did not find a solution.
It is however quite possible things cannot be done other than by putting a
fontchange inside each label.

Hans van der Meer