Hi John,

Wolfgang wrote:
> Do you mean \fakeword?

Link to the This Way that introduces \fakeword and friends:
http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/magazines/mag-0007.pdf
(I am personally rather fond of the \simplethesis command. (This
command produces a lot of output, so it may take a bit longer than you
expect --- just like a real thesis.))

Or perhaps you mean the black boxes in section 5 of the reference
manual's typography chapter [1]? Those are made by replacing every
letter with a black rule of equal height, depths, and width. I dug op
the code [2]; relevant bit is below.

[1]
http://context.aanhet.net/svn/contextman/context-reference/en/co-typography.pdf
[2]
http://context.aanhet.net/svn/contextman/context-reference/en/co-typography.tex

NB: I also have some recollection of dummy text composed of hollow
rectangles rather than solid black ones, but like you I cannot
remember where I saw that. Maybe the document also showed kerns, in
pretty colors? I can't remember.

Cheers,
Sietse

% Converting every letter into a rectangle.
\def\somecharacter#1%
  {\setbox0=\hbox{#1}%
   \blackrule[width=\wd0,height=\ht0,depth=\dp0]}

\def\someline%
  {\noindent \processtokens\somecharacter\somecharacter\relax\space
     {The height and depth of lines differs.}}

\starttext
\someline