If I modify a core lua file how do I remake the format file? Is this
something that is done from mtxrun.exe? I would certainly prefer to use a
hook rather than modifying a core file, but how do I identify the hooks that
are available? Is there a list of hooks that are available, or a standard
way that hooks are called from the context code so that I can look for an
appropriate hook? Where do I place my hook scripts? Is there a guide that is
available that might get me started?

What I trying to do is map equation references to the equation number
generated by context. So for example, if I have an equation:

\placeformula \startformula
\NC F = m a \NC  \NR[eq:newtonslaw]
\stopformula

I need a way to log the fact that 'eq:newton' became something like equation
(2.3). I hoped there was a tracker that printed this out (maybe there is,
but I haven't found it). So I thought maybe I could find where equation
numbers are defined by context and add a tracker. The code in
'strc-ref.mkvi' and 'strc-ref.lua' looked promising.

Incidentally, is this where equation numbers are created, or should I be
looking in another file? Is there a lua function that gets called
consistently around the time equation numbers are defined where the equation
reference (i.e. eq:newtonslaw) and the associated equation number are both
available and could be logged?

I tried adding a new tracker in strc-ref.lua to see if I could narrow down
where the labels are created, but my tracker did not seem to work.
Therefore, I identified a tracker that was working and tried to modify the
output slightly only to find that this did not work either. It is not clear
to me at present how context loads the lua files. I hoped that it loaded
these directly, so that changes would take effect immediately.

-Lance Larsen

------------------------------
On 6/7/2013 1:20 AM, Lance Larsen wrote:
> I have a version of context standalone installed, and I am trying to
> add some functionality I need to strc-ref.lua. As a simple test to see
> if modifying the file was working, I enabled the
> ?structures.referencing.identifying? tracker and verified that I was
> getting messages from this tracker in the log. I then modified the log
> statement in strc-ref.lua and processed the document again. The
> changes I made to the lua file did not seem to be active. I verified
> that there is only one log statement that matches the output I am
> seeing. Why would my lua code change not be active? Is the lua code
> cached somehow? (I am running this from windows if that matters).
>
> The code I modified is under the path:
>
> context\tex\texmf-context\tex\context\base\ strc-ref.lua

if you patch files that way you need to remake the format file

I don't know what you patch, but changing something in a core file is no
guarantee for the future. It's not a problem to add functionality (lots of
hooks for that) but best do that in a local module that gets loaded at
runtime then.

                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

End of ntg-context Digest, Vol 108, Issue 19