Hans wrote:

>>Just wondering: why are users using unix shells on windows for
running tex? does it have advantages?

>>Or is the availability of unix commands the main reason?

In no particular order:

The Unix utilities, richer scripting language, compatibility with
existing Unix systems one might need to deal with. Familiarity for
those of us who have spent many more years working with Unix than
Windows.

If you need/want a GUI interface, Windows is great and that's where
the applications are, for the most part.
If you need/want a command-line environment, Unix is much more
capable and powerful than the DOS world of the Windows command line.

Something like UWIN or Cygwin allows one to have both.

I have no familiarity at all with Macs since using the original Mac
Plus to publish a newsletter in the late 1980's so I'm not
slighting/disparaging Macs in any way. I won't comment on what I
don't know about.

[Bill Meahan]